Thursday, June 13, 2013 - 11:42am
See below for some exciting updates on work coming out of the Jewish community on immigration reform.
- Rabbi Ali Abrams at Jewish Council on Urban Affairs delivered a letter, along with immigrant rights groups, from almost 20 Illinois rabbis to Senator Kirk's staff asking that he support immigration reform.
- Jews for Racial and Economic Justice organized a Caring Across Generations call with Schumer's Judiciary Committee staffer to express concerns about E-Verify's requirements for working mothers, seniors, and people with disabilities.
- The Los Angeles National Council of Jewish Women section had a town hall meeting with Rep. Adam Schiff and nearly 100 community members. He spent almost 2 hours answering questions from the audience, including on immigration. The Rochester section also recently met with Rep. Tom Reed
- Just Congregations and the Religious Action Center, working with Reform rabbis, recently had in-district meetings with Rep. Frelinghuysen (NJ) and the offices of Senators Chambliss (GA) and Cornyn (TX). They also set up a meeting with Senator Rubio himself and led a meeting with him, including Rabbi Jessica Brockman (Boca Raton), Pastor Joel Hunter (Longwood, FL), Nathan Diament (Orthodox Union), Gordon Whitman (PICO), Rachel Laser and Lila Foldes.
- HIAS is providing refugee/asylum policy expertise to the broad immigration coalition, the Alliance for Citizenship. Over the last few weeks, with partners from coalitions like Refugee Council USA, Asylum Working Group, the Interfaith Immigration Coalition, the Family Coalition and Detention Watch Network, HIAS has met with nearly half of the Senate offices to educate staff and members about the importance of keeping refugee and asylum provisions in the Senate bill.
- Jewish Council for Public Affairs and HIAS, as part of their Immigration Nation campaign, created a briefing paper which provides background and serves as a “leave-behind” for in-district congressional meetings.
Actions and Events
- Jewish Council on Urban Affairs is organizing an event today, Immigration and its Discontents: Stories and Schtick, with young Jews telling and hearing stories and issuing a call to action on immigration.
- Rabbi Rick Jacobs spoke at the NYC event for Nuns on the Bus (see the attached image).
- Bend the Arc has a Denver organizer working (since early May) to build a progressive Jewish base to act on immigration reform. A group of leaders is exploring a 'buycott' to reward businesses that are supportive of CIR.
- The Rabbinical Assembly finalized a resolution on immigration and is collecting electronic votes on it right now and will be announced at their convention in Israel at the end of the month.
- JALSA organized a lunchtime discussion on Jewish text and immigration policy with a rabbi and immigration leader.
Op Eds/Media Articles
- A Jewish perspective on Immigration Reform by Vic Rosenthal and Rabbi Morris Allen, Minneapolis Star Tribune
- Senator Lautenberg: An Appreciation of His Lifesaving Work With Refugees by Mark Hetfield, Huffington Post
- Inter-faith leaders speak out on US immigration bill (quote from Rabbi Steve Gutow), Ecumenical News
- NCJW launches immigration reform campaign, Jewish Journal-Broward North (see attached image)
Sneak peek for next time!
- 12 AVODAH alumni are writing and submitting letters to the editor on immigration - hopefully next time we'll share a few that are published
- JALSA has a Tzedek Salon coming up on June 26.
- Jewish Council on Urban Affairs is organizing a "Kirk Carnival" social media blitz.